Now that kids are back in school, I’m reflecting on my summer, as I’m sure many of you are too. One of the highlights for me was visiting kids all over the province, sharing my love of literacy on the "Read with Ranger Kara Tour". The tour kicked off on July 26 and I’ve been having a blast reading “Boy Soup” to kids and their families. The book is about a giant who gets out-smarted by five boys and a girl. So far I have read to nearly 500 kids, ages 2-to-10, and their parents in Hamilton and Pickering.
My favourite part of the “Read with Ranger Kara Tour” is meeting the kids after the reading, when I’m signing autographs.
Why am I telling you about this? Well, if there’s anything I’ve learned in my time as Ranger Kara – it’s so important that kids love to read; it can help build their imaginations. And, reading and writing are key skills to helping kids grow up to be successful in whatever they do.
This fall, I’ll will be visiting more cities around Ontario reading “Doors in the Air”, about a boy who is fascinated by doors – real and imaginary. His imagination leads him to many different doorways that take him from one world to another. I hope you and your kids can join me at one of these Ontario locations:
- Saturday, September 13, 1-4 pm: Thunder Bay, Thunder Bay Art Gallery
- Saturday, October 4, 1-3:30 pm: Ottawa, Ben Franklin Place, The Chamber
- Saturday, October 18, 1-3:30 pm: Peterborough, Peterborough Collegiate Vocational Institute
- Saturday, November 1, 1-3:30 pm: London, London Public Library, Central Branch, Wolf Performance Hall
- Sunday, November 9, 1-3:30 pm: Sudbury, Science North, Vale Cavern
Kara Harun is a host with TVOKids “The Space”, the afterschool block of children’s programming for kids 6-11 years of age.