Find the matching pairs and make Ivan a sandwich all at the same time!
- Sit with your child while he/she is playing the game and take turns "turning over" the playing cards online.
- Reinforce the fact that visual memory skills are being strengthened through this game. When it is "your turn" verbally explain what card you are turning over and why, for example, "I think I remember seeing the other tomato over here, next to the sardines!"
This activity helps strengthen your child's visual memory skills. These are essential prerequisites for reading and mathematics, when your child will need to remember the shapes of all the letters and numbers. This game meets many expectations in multiple grades, one of which is:
Explore, recognize, describe and create patterns, using a variety of materials in different contexts.
- Memory games have been around for ages, and for good reason! Not only are they fun, but they can be played anywhere, and almost with any set of cards that have pairs, or structured sets. Get a pack of index cards and write numbers one to ten. Make corresponding number cards using stickers or drawings. For example, the index card with 1 fish sticker is a match for the index card with the number 1.The index card with 5 dog stickers is a match for the number 5 card. Using number cards also allows your child to strengthen their number sense skills.
- Look at the example of an extended activity above. Extend this activity further by taking 26 index cards with capital letters of the alphabet on them, to be used as matches for 26 cards with lower case letters on them. Shuffle them, turn them over and try to find the letter pairs. Using letter cards also helps your child strengthen their letter recognition skills.
- Older children can benefit from memory games also! Make up playing cards that have multiplication sentences (e.g., 4 x 6) and the products, or answers on the other (e.g., 24). This type of activity can be used for addition, subtraction or division also and will help your child improve his/her recall of math facts!