This science activity brings chemistry right into your home without the mess! Come in and explore!
- Ask your child comprehensive questions while he/she is conducting each experiment. For example, ask, "what do you think is going to happen if we use the water to write a secret message?"
- Take turns at the computer! While you read out each step of the experiment your child will conduct the experiment. Then, have your child read the steps of the experiment out loud while you use the mouse to conduct the experiment.
Children can experiment with different substances while being guided to follow a step-by-step experiment. No need for protective goggles or gloves for these science experiments! This game meets many expectations in multiple grades, one of which is:
Science and Technology: Understanding Life Systems - Growth and Changes in Plants (Let it grow!)
Demonstrate an understanding that plants grow and change and have distinct characteristics.
- Discover more about properties of matter! With your child, discover how water that is boiled turns into vapour. Use a stopwatch to see how long it takes for water to boil.
- Using an ice cube tray, pour water into a few of the holders, vinegar into a few of the holders, and oil into a few also. Place plastic wrap over the tray and place in the freezer overnight. Make predictions about what the results will be - will all the liquids freeze?
- Try another experiment! Using an ice cube tray, fill 1/3 of the holders with water, 1/3 with water mixed with salt and 1/3 with water mixed with sugar. Put the ice cube tray in the freezer, and leave it overnight. Make predictions about what the results will be - will all the liquids freeze?